Not unless you’re on a package tour, I highly recommend for you to get a pocket WiFi in Japan. The country is very tourist friendly yet having one is very convenient, specially when navigating around one of the world’s massive train system and of course not to forget to share online all your amusing experiences during the trip. Renting could sound intimidating but the first thing you should know is Japanese loves convenience – period. Renting a pocket Wi-Fi is very easy and also affordable (if you know where to order). For this post I will be recommending Wi-fi rental Japan Just simply follow these steps!
- Its best to order at least 3 days before your arrival date
- Go to http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html and choose the type of Pocket WiFi that you want to rent – there are actually 3 types the only difference is the provider, speed and area coverage. Based on my experience if you’re just touring around the city let’s say Osaka or Tokyo you can opt for the cheapest which is Y!Mobile, it was still very fast compared to the internet service in the Philippines and I didn’t encounter any coverage problems in Japan. It is JPY450 around Php200 at the time of this writing. The battery also lasted me a whole day too. If you’re going to mountainous area or coastal area, its best to get Softbank which I will write about in a separate post.
- After deciding choose the duration of your rental and you will be directed to the next page. (don’t be confused colors depend on the provider you are choosing e.g red for Y!Mobile –
- The next page lets you choose optional add-ons if you like. As for me I added insurance just to be sure cause the loss/damage fee is freaking expensive. Insurance is just JPY540 around Php250 which is very cheap for your peace of mind and covers the whole rental duration period.
You can also rent powerbank, additional battery etc.
- Afterwards you will fill out your details such as name, place where you are staying at, it can be your Hotel, Airbnb Address or even Airport (Additional cost for Airport Pickup as it will be handled by the post office)
- Last step is to pay via Credit Card
And that’s it! Once you arrive in Japan you will be receiving this package from your Front Desk or at the Airport (I haven’t experienced thru Airbnb but be careful as they might send it and there might be no one available to receive it)
You will be receiving the pocket WiFi itself, Pouch, Charger, Manual. No need for configuration just turn it on, connect to the WiFi type the password which you can find at the back of the device.
Finally, an additional return mail pouch and form so that the day after your last day you have to reseal everything again and drop it at any JP Post mailbox. Its the tiny red mailbox which is a really cool experience when dropping it off! You can find this almost anywhere. Me, I found it in front of our hotel. Told you, convenience!
Disclaimer: Prices and information are subject to change without prior notice. This post is not sponsored and is based on a hundred percent “heyjaey” hands on experience and personal views. We may or may not be always on the same page but hey thanks for dropping by anyway! Feel free to drop in some comments/suggestions.